7

// FMP & Thesis – #7

Developing the prototypes further, I made some minor changes to Pulse and Point whilst changing Peek’s form entirely from scratch. With Pulse, I replaced the outer packaging with a lighter, more pinkish red than the previous prototype. This colour choice had more harmony in conjunction with the other two, and the material allowed the hand sewn threads to be seen quite clearly when stretched. Whilst that was not what I wanted at first, the photo documentation later showed that it was a detail which ended up looking quite nicely, reminiscent of Tin Woodman’s own placebo heart.

With Point, a new blue foam model was made with more accurate measurements, and wrapped up completely with thin, flexible foam sheets. Some of the connections were done rather hastily and would not look good up close, but in general the outer foam sheet gave it a nice looking texture and reinforced the playful nature of the item. I had also wanted to replace/remake the hand and trigger entirely, but ultimately left it due to time constraints. Leaving the grabber hand intact, its visual language also helped to convey a playful tone.

With Peek, I had abandoned the original plastic headset that I was using for the previous prototype and utilised the rectangular headset form, creating the net myself. This helped to make the shutter system for the eyes more functional and gave a stronger, more familiar shape to the dysfunctional VR headset.

 

 

 

Setting up a basic photographic area in my own room, I utilised coloured poster paper to act as photographic backdrops, contrasting each object’s main colour with another. The colour balance was a bit difficult to manage due to the amount of saturation, but the results ended up quite decent after some adjustments in Photoshop. In a photo documentation form, the objects’ became more stylised than I had imagined, losing some of their originally intended humour. It seemed more and more that these three things became objects of communication rather than objects of interaction, which I’m not sure would reflect well when displayed in the grad show. More on that later I suppose.

 

a

a2

a3

a4

a5

a6

a7

 

After the photo shoot, a video of these object’s mock introduction / demonstration / commercial was shot. Taking some influences from the toy commercials of Tokusatsu and silent comedy films, I wanted to shoot a stop motion that demonstrated the objects’ whimsical nature. However, the camera equipment I borrowed did not have a timed continous shooting mode, which was a problem for me who was doing the shoot by myself with no help. Ultimately I changed from shooting a stop motion to a proper video, which may have lost some of the intended stop motion comicalness I intended. Video to come in the next post.

 

Advertisements